Do not be hasty in the choice and arrangement of your curtains: they are one of the most important parts in your home.
Just follow these 5 simple suggestions to give your room a unique look thanks to your curtains.
1. When hanging curtains, make sure you get proper fullness: it is recommended your curtains to be twice or even two and a half times the size of the window.
2. Always hang curtains as close to the ceiling as possible.
3. Don’t ever worry about your windows being too large. It’s like being too pretty — it’s just not possible. If you don’t want curtains to be the protagonist of a space, choose a fabric that matches the colour of your wall and doesn’t create contrast.
4. You can have both blinds and curtains. It’s all a matter of how tailored you want your space to be. If you’re going for a more formal look, go for shades and curtains.
5. Make sure your curtains are in tune with your furniture. In a room you have four major elements: walls, floor, ceilings and furniture, but only one can be the star. The other elements have just a supporting role, so if you want a flower print curtains, don’t choose a flower print couch and vice versa.
6. When choosing between wood slat blinds and roman shades, it all depends on how much light and privacy you want. Slatted blinds allow you to adjust the amount of light in the room, while roman shades don’t let any light in.
7. Curtain length is a matter of personal preference, but not only: it also depends on the fabric you choose. If you opt for cotton, linen or other firm textiles, the best is to let your curtains just kiss the floor. On the other hand, if you choose a soft fabric like organza, the best look is when they lie on the floor for about 10/15 cm.
8. For bedrooms, blackout blinds are best. They’re made with heavier material that does not allow light to get in.
9. A 2 cm wide curtain rod is perfect. As for the finial, a simple look is the best, or the risk is that it will look too baroque.